Pages

Friday, 25 July 2014

Proper update

Well here goes...

I have literally done nothing since coming home from my America break, well, other than full time work in the shop along with a few evening shifts. And then after all that working when I do get the odd day off I do nothing! I don't want to do anything funny enough.

But now after getting all my student loan payment dates for 3rd year in the post today it prompted me to have a look through the calendar and the first day back to college is looming. Which I am thoroughly looking forward to as it then means my priority is purely my coursework and less of this earning-a-living nonsense these grown-ups have to do.

The sad reality is my sketchbooks that I took home on my last day - other than briefly flicking through the pages on the odd occasion - have sat on my table and not found a permanent home yet, more to the fact I am running out of space for all these sketchbooks. 


What I can show you is a few pictures from my America trip which may inspire some artwork when I start back. Yeah, that's the other thing, I don't really have a direction for my work at the moment. Do I continue along with the 'Connections' idea, although perhaps not as sculptural. Or do I pick up a whole new line of development? I don't want to dwell on that too much though as it just adds stress to the whole process which after a bit of experience, I know best not to over-think it all too much as things always progress with an open mind.

So the big US of A, and I only saw I tiny bit of it on the West Coast. My whistle-stop tour through the states of: California, Nevada and Arizona, was a very different experience from anywhere in Europe I have ever been too (yet!) The landscape, people, food, atmosphere...temperature!... was just a completely new, unforgettable experience. One which I do hope is not to be my last.

San Diego- Mexican border- lots of Mexican culture, day of the dead seemed to be a great theme for tourist souvenirs as well as artwork of Frida Kahlo.  

Hot air balloon ride is Scottsdale, Arizona. Upwards of 40oC, which I'm amazed I coped with but the experience was unforgettable. 

Stopped off in Seligman on Route 66, which is the place that Disney Pixars 'Cars' was based on. 
Saw a few interesting things including this sheriff cowboy but I would love to do the entire route of 66- it's on the bucket list! 

One of the most photographed signs in the world, the Twatt sign in Orkney is likely on that list too! 
Vegas was a very colourful place! 

The Grand Canyon was breathtaking. You go there knowing it's big but nothing prepares you for it. It's HUGE! Photos will never capture just how beautiful it is. 

In the Grand Canyon national park I went off exploring on my own and in some of my leaflets I had acquired I read about this artist residency within the park and the latest installation. I ended up being taken there by an American guy who I met on the bus. Turns out other than trying to establish his own religion...I was 4th ray personality, like himself, whatever that meant! That he used to be a mayor. If it wasn't for this interesting gentleman I wouldn't have found this piece of artwork. 


This was the work of Jared Charzewski, details on the link
http://www.jarodcharzewski.com/lately/

Whilst I was viewing this I picked up information on the artist residencies they offer, so you never know one day I may return to that place to create artwork! 


Another place of real natural beauty was Yosemite National Park

Vernal Falls which was a bit of a hike to get to but the view from the top was worth it. 

The iconic Golden Gate Bridge in San Fransico which, yes I'm going to repeat the word again, was a very colourful place! That was more in the literal sense this time though as it was Gay Pride week when we arrived, with the parade happening on the weekend we were there. 

I didn't see any of the parade, except the aftermath! I was too busy with bike rides over the Golden Gate and thanks to my super organisational skills of booking months in advance!- I went over to Alcatraz. Which was very interesting, especially to learn that families lived over there! They were families of the workers and had lovely little houses on the island and the children would take a boat back and forth to school in San Franscisco ever day- just like school kids in Orkney really! It's all Connections!! 
















No comments:

Post a Comment