Pages

Thursday, 12 March 2015

London trip

I was just in London for a long weekend and managed to visit the Tate Modern. Been on the to-do list for a long while!

Richard Tuttle's installation I Dont' Know - The Weave of Textile Language greeted me as I walked into the building - an enormous colourful structure!



I went all the way to the other end of the country to find out information happening in Orkney!



Terence Koh  - Untitled ( A new world order lies in this Golden Age) 2006 
Vitrines becoming central focus of the artwork. 

Eva Rothschild - Riches 2007 - geometric fibreglass sculpture
  "two triangular Perspex panels are joined in the corner of the room. Thin rods protrude from the Perspex but, when viewed from a distance, the effect is of a two-dimensional rhombus shape, as if the sculpture refuses to reveal its own depth" (Tate Modern 2015) 7

Nicholas Hlobo - Macaleni lintozomlambo 2010 - Ribbon and tea on paper
"the title refers to a traditional Xhosa belief whereby boys would throw rocks into the river before skinny dipping as a sign of respect towards the river." (Tate Modern, 2015) 



Salvador Dali - first time I have seen one of his paintings in the 'flesh' 

Likewise for Pablo Picasso - Nude Woman with Necklace 1968

Jospeh Beuys - Lightning with Stag in its Glare - 1958-85 "in the massive installation, the suspended, bronze triangle embodies the energy of a powerful flash of lightning..." (Tate Modern, 2015) 

There was also a Bill Viola video installation - you entered a dark room with a faint glow on 3 walls around you. There was a very eery sound which ssurrounded you, not quite clear enough for voices - they seemed to fade in and out. On the walls projected every now and again figures also faded in and out, very ghostly. It was a highly emotive piece, felt very uneasy and I couldn't remain in the room for very long. 

Also an interesting installation of quite a common sight on London's streets - a black cab, but with a twist! Seen this at the airport waiting to fly to Edinburgh, in terminal 2. 












No comments:

Post a Comment