Pages

Thursday, 24 April 2014

Presentation research


I got myself a copy of the Orkney Dictionary, I have been borrowing a copy from the library for months so finally decided to buy my own copy not only for my current artwork but also as a nod to my granddad who was the fountain of all knowledge when it came to Orcadian words and I am missing this heritage aspect of my life nowadays.


Anyway, with preparing my presentation for Tuesday I looked in this book to check a definition and found the following, which is perfect and have used it in my presentation!


A word for the Bairns


Oh bairns be prood to use the words
That in this book* you’ll find
Mak sure they’re often on yer lips
And always in yer mind


And then wan day you’ll realise
When you are no so young
That Orkney’s greatest treasure is
By far its mither tongue

 Harvey Johnston




No comments:

Post a Comment