String balls - I wanted to work on something a bit more 3D for a change. Keeping connections and links between cultures and travel in my mind I made the balls.
The string becomes a physical representation of travelling as you start in one place - home - and no matter where you travel home is where you were born and raised. The string is also representative of the direct connections and links between cultures. The spherical shape being the world itself and with the difference in light and shadows showing the division of the world into two hemispheres - daylight on one side, night time on the other.
This idea of showing travel was continued when I used the string ball as a form of printing block and rolled it over maps
Was quite effective for something so simple - considering doing a larger installation of this, people ink up the balls themselves and show their own journey

No comments:
Post a Comment